skip to main content

Committee Meeting - 7/8/19

We had our club committee meeting a few weeks back where the below was discussed. These are held every first Monday of the month in the Sitwell Arms, Whiston. Club members are more than welcome to attend to discuss any issues they have.

The next committee meeting will be: Monday 4th September

Committee members present:

Jonny Haynes (JH) – Chair
James Fox (JF) – Publicity and Marketing Officer
Mark Weston (MW) – Social Officer

Apologies received from:

Andy Laidler – Vice Chair (Available via WhatsApp)
David Southwood – Treasurer (Available via WhatsApp)
Rob O’Reilly – Club Captain
Phil Smith – Kit Officer

Ride Speeds / Lengths

The main agenda item of the meeting, this discussion ultimately resulted in the survey sent to all members on the 17th August as the membership should have the final say on the composition of the Club rides. It was noted that it is very difficult to put on rides which appeal to the diverse make-up of
the Club’s membership however suggestions made included:

  • Two speed rides on Sundays
  • Saturday morning Chain Gang / Café Racing to run alongside the well-established Saunter rides
  • Saturday Saunter to be a weekly event
  • Saturday morning MTB rides

It was also discussed that to accommodate a range of ride lengths and speeds on different days, more ride leaders would be required for both road and MTB rides.

It was decided that a survey should be sent to the members of the Club to gauge the appetite for varying ride speeds / lengths (amongst other things) before putting anything formal in place.

Action Point – JH to develop a membership survey to get feedback on a range of Club issues and to get a general feel for how people think the Club is being run.

Social

Although the turn out for July’s social was down on the previous month it was noted that this was likely to be down to the holiday period and that an informal meet up on the last Friday of each month was to be continued.

MW discussed arranging a Club trip to the Cycle Show at the NEC in September. This was agreed and subsequently numbers have been taken for the event.

Action Point – MW to arrange trip to the Cycle Show in September which may include coach transport depending on demand / numbers

Group Numbers

The committee discussed the growing numbers on Club rides and how this could potentially create a safety issue as the membership grows. It was agreed that with immediate effect the maximum number of riders per group would be 16, with two groups being formed should the total number at the meeting point exceed this.

Action Point – JH to communicate this requirement to Club members

AOB

  • JH to speak to Annabel Vella to discuss potentially leading a female only ride
  • JH to investigate Café Locks as a membership gift for members who already possess the Giraffe and ID tags
  • All members to be reminded that lights are now mandatory on Wing it Wednesday™ rides

Thanks for reading.

If anyone has any points to raise with the committee please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
James