skip to main content

Committee Meeting - 12/3/18

We had our club committee meeting a few weeks back where the below was discussed. These are held every first Monday of the month in the Sitwell Arms, Whiston. Club members are more than welcome to attend to discuss any issues they have.

The next committee meeting will be: Monday 9th April

Committee members present:

Jonny Haynes (JH) – Chair
Andy Laidler (AL) – Vice Chair
David Southwood (DS) – Treasurer
James Fox (JF) – Publicity and Marketing Officer
Mark Weston (MW) – Social Officer
Mick Harrison (MH) – Membership Officer
Rob O’Reilly (RR) – Club Captain

Apologies received from:

Phil Smith – Kit Officer

Etiquette Guide

JH and AL attended a British Cycling Workshop on Thursday 8th March. It was all about how British Cycling could work better as an organisation for clubs and those who ride bikes who are not part of a club. Basically for anyone who rides two wheels. Racing events to cycling highways were discussed. One main thing we brought away from the workshop is that we should have a Code Of Conduct Policy for our club and its members. Nothing fancy just what is expected on both parts.

Action Point – JH to devise a policy that needs to be approved by the Committee.

Qualified Ride Leaders

We are looking at getting some of those of you that lead club rides officially qualified to do so. Also this would enable us to eventually become a Go-Ride Club and really helping the sport at a grass roots level.

Action Point – RR to look at to see if we can apply for any grants to help with costs.

Hill Climb

AL is now at a stage with this to see how much it would all cost. We have a date and the course has been approved. However, unfortunately we have been informed with it having to be put on as ‘Club’ event due to timing, the hill climb cannot be advertised on the CTT website and can only take entries on the day. This means obviously the uptake is going to be dramatically reduced and the promoting of it. It may be better to wait and resubmit the course in August for the following year when then it can be published in the official CTT handbook as well as on their site where entries can be taken months before. Basically a well publicised ‘Open’ event.

Action Point – AL to price up putting a hill climb on. Also to enquire the club putting a crit on in the future. Maybe Forge Valley could accommodate such an event.

Renewals/Membership

We are currently up to 8 new members for this year, that is 1 up on last year. The Sitwell Train just keeps on growing. Thank you everyone for your continued support and again to those who have recently joined us.

Club Competitions

As mentioned in last months committee notes, a handicap system was going to be devised for the KOM and Sprint jersey, to make the prize attainable for the many and not just the few. A formula has now been successfully devised by JH and MW. The competitions start in around 3 weeks time so keep your eyes peeled on the usual forums for information on how it will all work. Nothing for members to get their head around as we have saved all that for ‘Stato’ aka RR. The member of the year competition will remain the same and also the new jersey of ‘Rookie’ of the year will work the same. The Yellow jersey also is pretty much same as last year with the workings just with an altered points system........ after all its about getting folks out on their bikes.

Action Point – RR to publish Aprils segments and the workings of the jerseys.

Socials

Aprils social is going to be bowling at Rotherham Superbowl. MW has been looking at 2 games for £9 on the 28th starting at 7.30pm. There is a bar there too. Mark is also looking at doing the family BBQ a little earlier this year so more people can attend. Last year was a real success. Venue still has to be decided and exact date.

Action Point – MW to confirm summer BBQ

Kit

New kit is still set to arrive at the end of this month (March) for those that have ordered. This includes club socks for all members and headset caps for those members who have renewed as a thank you for your continued support.

Action Point – PS to arrange a collection for all of the above when it arrives.

Sunday Saunter

DS brought to the table the idea of a saunter on a Sunday. It would work the same as the Saturday Saunter we have but just alongside our standard Sunday Club run.

Action Point – DS to find out who could lead these and how often. To find out how big the interest is amongst the club for a Sunday Saunter.

Thanks for reading.

If anyone has any points to raise with the committee please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Andy