skip to main content

Committee Meeting - 15/5/18

We had our club committee meeting a few weeks back where the below was discussed. These are held every first Monday of the month in the Sitwell Arms, Whiston. Club members are more than welcome to attend to discuss any issues they have.

The next committee meeting will be: Monday 4th June

Committee members present:

Jonny Haynes (JH) - Chair
James Fox (JF) - Co-Vice Chair / Publicity & Marketing Officer (minutes)
Andy Laidler (AL) - Co-Vice Chair / Racing Officer
David Southwood (DS) - Treasurer
Rob O’Reilly (RR) - Club Captain
Claire Morgan (CM) - Equality & Diversity Officer

Apologies received from:

Mark Weston – Socials Officer
Phil Smith – Kit Officer
Mick Harrison – Membership Officer

There were sufficient committee members present for the meeting to be quorate.

Welcome to the Committee! (JH)

JH formally welcomed CM to the Sitwell CC committee. This was CM’s first meeting since being appointed to the new role of Equalities & Diversity Officer.

Current Balance (DS)

Current balance in the club account is circa £1,600. Amount to be confirmed once payments for kit and Chain Gang have been reconciled.

Action Point - DS to confirm exact balance at next committee meeting

Timing Chips / Devices (AL)

AL confirmed he has spoken to Phil Heaton of CTT who recommends the ‘cheaper’ timing device option for proposed Hill Climb event costing £37.50. The committee agreed that these should be purchased in advance of organising the event in order to ensure we are competent at operating the system.

Action Point – AL to arrange purchase of the timing device

Bike Rack (JH)

Club member Nev Fletcher has kindly built a club bike rack to be situated outside the Sitwell Arms and has requested funds to purchase a lock to keep bikes safe while members are inside. 

Action Point – JH to investigate options for the lock and report back to the committee with costings

Membership (MH)

MH circulated the latest membership numbers ahead of the meeting. We are now at 81 members, with 24 new members joining in 2018 – eight up on this time last year. We had eight new members join in April and four so far in May.

In terms of the makeup of the clubs membership, we currently have four female members (equating to 4.9% of the club – behind the Yorkshire average of 17%) and one junior member.

Forge Valley Chain Gang (CM)

CM raised a question around our Tuesday night Chain Gang sessions and Forge Valley, and if they are sustainable given the low numbers attending. Based on current numbers, an average of five to six attendees weekly, the sessions are not sustainable for the club financially.

Action Point – AL to obtain open and honest feedback from club members as to why attendances are not higher and will present back to the committee at a later date with his findings. A decision will be made from there as to how we progress.

Sign at the meet point (JF)

The application for erecting a sign denoting the clubs meeting point is still with the town council’s ‘Streetpride’ planning team. Given the length of time this request has been pending, JF has asked for this to be escalated to management.

Action Point – JF to continue to chase for an update, with a decision to be made as to next steps at the next meeting.

Increasing female and junior membership (JH / CM)

CM suggested female only club rides along with an introductory bike maintenance course. 

Action Point – CM to look into monthly rides along with a bike maintenance class open to all.

Ride leaders for Wednesday night rides (MH)

MH raised the point ahead of the meeting that we are short of ride leaders for Wednesday nights. 

Action Point – MH to approach certain club members who are regular attendees of Wednesday night rides to become ride leaders.

Sunday Saunter (DS)

Following on from high level discussions regarding the launch of a Sunday ride in the format of a Saturday Saunter, DS has discussed with PS and club member Ian Denham who have confirmed they would be willing to lead such a club ride. JH suggested the rides take place once a month to begin with until the level of interest is gauged. DS suggested alternate weeks. It was noted the committee were keen to ensure there are a sufficient number of ride leaders available to cover these rides.

Action Point – DS to take forward to put together a formal proposal to launch a Sunday Saunter and present back to the committee at a later date.

AOB

None

Thanks for reading.

If anyone has any points to raise with the committee please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
James